I am low on space on my hard drive. One of the things I am thinking of doing is making OneDrive files/ folders to be online only and only selected few to sync. Is it possible to do this? Also, I want to make sure it does not delete data from my online OneDrive. – Jimmy
Good thing you asked. If you directly try to delete anything in your OneDrive folder of your local machine it will delete it online too. So don’t delete anything yourself. Follow the following steps and you will achieve what you wish:
- Open File Explorer. My preferred way is to press the key combination Win+E.
- In the Navigation Pane on the left, click OneDrive.
- Right click in an empty area on the right side of the window and click Choose OneDrive folders to sync.
- In the Sync your OneDrive files to this PC dialog, uncheck Sync all files and and folders in OneDrive.
- Click Ok on the warning dialog.
- You can individual select each folder or subfolder that you wish to sync with your PC. You can additionally choose to sync all files in a folder but not any subfolders as well. You however cannot select individual files. If wish have files where you only wish to sync a few of them but not all of them, the easiest way is to put them in two separate folders.
- Once you are done, click Ok.
- Only your selected stuff will sync on your PC from now on. Files or folders that should not be synced locally will moved to Recycle Bin. They will still remain preserved on your OneDrive though. You can safely empty your Recycle Bin.